David Dufresne Jr., a 52 year-old plumber from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, was fatally electrocuted in August 2016 when he touched the energized range while installing a dishwasher.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ranges. Avoid all direct contact until the electricity supply is shut off at the fuse box. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:
The electric ranges can become energized because a screw was not installed to secure the grounding strap during manufacturing, posing electric shock and electrocution hazards.”
The recall involves Blomberg BERU 24200 SS, BERU 24100 SS and Summit CLRE24 24-inch wide freestanding glass top electric ranges. They are stainless steel or black.
The ranges were sold at AJ Madison, State Street Discount, other stores nationwide, and online at Amazon.com from October 2012 through March 2017 for between $1,000 and $1,500.
There is a label on the lower frame inside the door with “Blomberg” or “Summit,” the model name, and number BERU 24200 SS, BERU 24100 SS, or CLRE24.
Ranges with the following 10-digit serial numbers were recalled:
|12 XXXXXX XX||15 XXXXXX XX||16 XXXXXX 03||16 XXXXXX 06|
|13 XXXXXX XX||16 XXXXXX 01||16 XXXXXX 04||16 XXXXXX 07|
|14 XXXXXX XX||16 XXXXXX 02||16 XXXXXX 05||16 XXXXXX 08|
Consumers should contact the manufacturer, Arçelik A.S. of Turkey, to schedule a free on-site inspection and repair at 877-271-1489 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. For more information, visit www.blombergappliances.us and click on “Recall Information.”