Editor’s note: For more information on how to get your settlement, please visit WEN® Hair Care Class Action | Official Settlement WebSite.

Chaz Dean and Guthy-Renker LLC agreed to the class action settlement after denying all wrongdoing. They were accused of ignoring over 17,000 complaints and continuing to sell WEN products that caused baldness.

The $26,250,000 settlement has been split into two tiers:

• Tier 1 Claim: $5 million has been set aside to provide a one-time $25 cash payment to anyone who bought WEN. The payout will be lower if more than 200,000 people sign up.
  • Tier 2 Claim: The remaining $20 million settlement will pay up to $20,000 to each person who had hair loss, hair damage, scalp irritation, or emotional distress from WEN.

To submit a Tier 2 claim, you will need evidence — “before-and-after” photos, receipts for out-of-pocket expenses, medical records, and written or video testimony from you, your hairdresser, or witnesses.

Tier 2 Claims have been split into four levels of compensation:

1. $0 to $2,500 — Hair thinning, limited hair breakage, mild scalp irritation, up to 20% hair loss. Hair re-growth took 1-4 months. Limited evidence.
  2. $2,500 to $7,500 — Noticeable hair loss (up to 33%) or scalp irritation, small bald spots, obvious hair thinning. Hair re-growth took 5-10 months.
  3. $7,500 to $12,500 — Large bald spots over more than 33% of the scalp, severe scalp irritation for several months. Re-growth took 11-18 months.
  4. $12,500 to $20,000 — Lost more than 50% of hair with large bald spots that could not be hidden. Hair re-growth has been minimal.

To be eligible, you must have purchased or used at least one of the following WEN® Hair Care products between November 1, 2007 and September 19, 2016:

• WEN Cleansing Conditioner
  • WEN Texturizing Spray
  • WEN Detangling Treatment Spray
  • WEN Men Control Texture
  • WEN Men Hair and Body Oil
  • WEN Bath, Body, and Hair Oil
  • WEN Texture Balm

The court will meet on June 5, 2017 to give final approval to the settlement. All of the claims must be reviewed, so please be patient.

To keep your right to file a lawsuit against the manufacturers of WEN, you must “opt out” of the settlement by sending a letter in the mail stating that you want to be excluded no later than February 10, 2017.

For more information, please visit the Official Settlement WebSite or call 1-888-247-5266. You can also contact the claims administrator at info@WENClassSettlement.com.

Related News Articles

Posted by Daily Hornet

We aim to provide progressive news that covers politics and corporate wrongdoing. We have no corporate interests to serve. No hidden agenda. We’re here to bring you the news you need to know with a grassroots twist.

10 Comments

1. I purchesed this crap online and have been suffering ever since but never put it together! My hair started coming out in fist
    fulls and wouldnt stop. I was so depressed, I didnt know what to do except take an anxiety med, which didnt help. Along with that, my scalp itches constantly, even right now! the back of my head itches the worst. I have little bumps that itch all the time, I have tried other moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, even Biotin liquid gels and just my nails grow! My hair is still falling out!

You believe all this crap on tv, stars represent it that you admire, so you fall for it! How about eye lash mascara? they obviously show the fakes, thinking you’ll believe it,,,,,,NOT

Please let me know what I have to do to get in this lawsuit,,,Im so tired of being mislead

2. i use WEN shampoo and other treatment and i find my hair keep falling out rapidly buti though the treatment would help,but my hair start falling more it is very short and thin .cannot use no kind of hair product on my hair up to this moment,it is dry and very brittle, when i comb it ,it comes out a lot.my hair and scalp is damage.being an african american women i did not know what to do about this wen product

3. I used several of the Wen Products I used them for years. I now see my doctor & a specialist for the problems. I have suffered so much with this Wen which I believed was a great product. I have scalp problems it has been so bad it has gotten infected I had the back of my scalp with blood & puss coming out. I have spent a so much money trying to bring it back. I got this e-mail & stopped using Wen it started to improve I still have flare ups the itching is horrible. I have never had any scalp problems until Wen so I have gallon left plus several bottles of unopened products. Wen is not cheap at all not even sure what to do with all of the Wen products I still have. I can’t seem to load the site to try n get a settlement paper sent to me? I do have medical doctors bills & statements to show what I have been through & am still going through it has been a nightmare. Please call me back I have called many times with no call back. I have changed my phone number & left a new message today.

4. Please help me,I’ve many wen products still,don’t use em anymore,I’m so bald,I wear hats all the time or hair pieces,I’m so embarrassed,I dread going anywhere,I know wat I see in the mirror,and,everyone else does too😠😳😢

5. l am living in a nightmare. five years later, my hair has now grown back.

6. I was sent the documents to fill out and return for the class action but I have accidentally lost it. All I have is a printed copy. Could you please send me a new document to fill out and attach my pictures?

7. Pictures should be enough to prove u had hair lost by using wenhair products.to quality for 20,000dollars tier2 come with rules.Many lady do their own hair,many couldn’t afford to see a salon hair lady,many couldn’t afford to see a doctor,for depression over hair loss.this is why a picture of hair should have been all that you needed for proof.A whole lots of people will not get paid because of tier 2 rules.That is very sad.

8. I used this when products sent in my letter and pictures. I can not afford an attorney or hair dresser. I feel I am obligated for pay my hair is a disaster. I sent in my letter and pictures.so please make your decision to be fair who saves reciets.I have so much of this products left I can’t use disclose I pray these people will take in to consideration the poor people. The world needs to be more honest. Not just for the rich.

9. Marilyn A. PateJune 22, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Just found out about this, will i be included based on my purchase? Is it too late to file a claim? I have been to a Dermatologist and undergone several blood test. I was recently referred to a specialist for LUPUS non of the systoms apply to me except hair loss. Is this the reason for my hair loss? I purchased this product and used it about the same time when i notice a little shedding, then hand full of hairs in the drain after washing, now hair if visiably shorter and broken in the back sides and top.
    I went through about a month of scratching vigoursly until i was given a prescription called Minoxidil and a foam for itching called CLOBETASOL PROPIONATE FOAM 100G.
    My hair comes out when i comb and wash my hair. I’m afraid that i will eventually have to get it all cut off evenly which will be very short. My husband don’t like wigs nor does he like short hair styles. Im afraid i have no chose at this point. I’m not happy either!

10. What’s going right now , with the Wen’s settlement, I have submitted my claim. I have not hear anything.