Chaz Dean and Guthy-Renker LLC agreed to the class action settlement after denying all wrongdoing. They were accused of ignoring over 17,000 complaints and continuing to sell WEN products that caused baldness.
The $26,250,000 settlement has been split into two tiers:
- Tier 1 Claim: $5 million has been set aside to provide a one-time $25 cash payment to anyone who bought WEN. The payout will be lower if more than 200,000 people sign up.
- Tier 2 Claim: The remaining $20 million settlement will pay up to $20,000 to each person who had hair loss, hair damage, scalp irritation, or emotional distress from WEN.
To submit a Tier 2 claim, you will need evidence — “before-and-after” photos, receipts for out-of-pocket expenses, medical records, and written or video testimony from you, your hairdresser, or witnesses.
Tier 2 Claims have been split into four levels of compensation:
- $0 to $2,500 — Hair thinning, limited hair breakage, mild scalp irritation, up to 20% hair loss. Hair re-growth took 1-4 months. Limited evidence.
- $2,500 to $7,500 — Noticeable hair loss (up to 33%) or scalp irritation, small bald spots, obvious hair thinning. Hair re-growth took 5-10 months.
- $7,500 to $12,500 — Large bald spots over more than 33% of the scalp, severe scalp irritation for several months. Re-growth took 11-18 months.
- $12,500 to $20,000 — Lost more than 50% of hair with large bald spots that could not be hidden. Hair re-growth has been minimal.
To be eligible, you must have purchased or used at least one of the following WEN® Hair Care products between November 1, 2007 and September 19, 2016:
- WEN Cleansing Conditioner
- WEN Re-Moist Mask
- WEN Treatment Mist Duo
- WEN Treatment Oil
- WEN SIXTHIRTEEN Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Treatment
- WEN Re-Moist Intensive Hair Treatment
- WEN Styling Crème
- WEN Anti-Frizz Styling Crème
- WEN Nourishing Mousse
- WEN Volumizing Treatment Spray
- WEN Replenishing Treatment Mist
- WEN Finishing Treatment Crème
- WEN Volumizing Root Lift
- WEN Texturizing Spray
- WEN Detangling Treatment Spray
- WEN Men Control Texture
- WEN Men Hair and Body Oil
- WEN Bath, Body, and Hair Oil
- WEN Texture Balm
The court will meet on June 5, 2017 to give final approval to the settlement. All of the claims must be reviewed, so please be patient.
To keep your right to file a lawsuit against the manufacturers of WEN, you must “opt out” of the settlement by sending a letter in the mail stating that you want to be excluded no later than February 10, 2017.