Authorities now have evidence that LayZ Board was the hoverboard that sparked a deadly house fire earlier this year.
Family members reported hearing “sizzling and crackling” coming from the hoverboard as it was charging near the front door of the house. The fire started at about 8 p.m. on Friday on Lexington Street.
The fire claimed the lives of Savannah Dominick, 10, and Ashanti Hughes, 2. Firefighter Lt. Dennis DeVoe also died of injuries in a car accident with an impaired driver as he was responding to the call.
LayZ Board hoverboards were manufactured in Shenzen, China, and more than 3,000 were imported to the United States, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
Due to the fire hazard posed to consumers of all ages by these hoverboards, CPSC is urging the pubic stop using their LayZ Board.”
The warning applies to LayZ Boards hoverboards, which is a different product than Lazyboard hoverboards, the agency noted.
The CPSC launched a priority investigation immediately after the fire was reported. The agency has investigated at least 60 hoverboard fires nationwide, but the Harrisburg fire was the first one that caused deaths.
The agency is urging consumers to check if their hoverboard has been recalled.
Over 500,000 hoverboards have been recalled from at least a dozen manufacturers since 2015, but LayZ Board hoverboards were not on the list. The recalls are still active and it is not too late to get a refund or a replacement battery.