Daniel Anderson suffered severe chemical and heat burns to his left leg and hands. His injuries were caused by fire and heat from a lithium-ion e-cigarette battery he bought from Big E’s Vapor Shop.

As a result of his injuries, he was unable to work for 16 weeks, lost $13,103.20 in wages, and now has over $109,000 in medical bills.

He filed a lawsuit against Big E’s Vapor Shop and the battery distributor, VapeUSA Corp. of Oklahoma, on February 6, 2018 in Sedgwick County District Court.

Anderson is represented by a lawyer in Wichita who said:

It was like a flame thrower. It just ignited and was a big ball of fire.”

The incident occurred on February 29, 2016. Anderson was carrying the e-cigarette battery, car keys and coins in his pants pocket while at work. When the metal items touched, the battery exploded.

The FDA suggests that e-cigarette users carry loose batteries in a case so they don’t accidentally touch other metal objects. This can cause the battery to overheat and catch on fire or explode suddenly.

E-cigarette explosions have been linked to at least 195 fires and 133 injuries in the U.S. from 2009 to 2016, according to a report by the U.S. Fire Administration in July 2017.

Source: E-cigarette battery explodes in Derby man’s pants. ‘It ignites like a bomb,’ lawyer says

Related News Articles

Posted by Daily Hornet

We aim to provide progressive news that covers politics and corporate wrongdoing. We have no corporate interests to serve. No hidden agenda. We’re here to bring you the news you need to know with a grassroots twist.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.