The lawsuit was filed by the national food safety law firm, Ron Simon & Associates, against a restaurant company in Jacksonville, Florida.
Nearly two dozen people in Florida were infected with Cyclospora after eating at Cooper’s Hawk Winery and Restaurant and Nordstrom at St. Johns town center in Jacksonville.
One plaintiff said she fell ill within days of eating food at Coopers Hawk restaurant earlier this summer. She claims she developed headaches, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea.
She also underwent medical treatment before doctors confirmed that she was infected with the Cyclospora parasite. The infection can only be confirmed with a specific lab test ordered by a doctor.
The outbreak of Cyclospora infections sickened at least 241 people in June and July 2019.
All of the victims reported eating fresh basil at restaurants in Florida, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, and Wisconsin, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The outbreak was traced to fresh basil imported from Mexico by Siga Logistics de RL de CV.
Source: Food safety lawyer files first cyclospora lawsuit against popular Jacksonville restaurants