Aunt Jemima owner Pinnacle Foods initiated the recall after detecting Listeria monocytogenes in the manufacturing facility. The same company supplies waffles for “Traditions” brand frozen food products.
Approximately 130,071 pounds of Traditions products were recalled by Valley Innovative Services of Pearl, Mississippi, because they contain waffles that may be contaminated with Listeria.
Traditions products were produced and packaged from May 2016 through May 2017. The recall includes chicken & waffle, turkey ham & waffle, and oatmeal with waffle & sausage patty frozen entrée items:
- Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Four Seasons Vegetables and Cabbage 11.4-ounce three-compartment trays. Sell-by dates: 6/6/2017, 7/13/2017, 8/15/2017, 10/12/2017, 12/21/2017 and 4/11/2018.
- Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Rib Meat with Cinnamon Flavored Sweet Potatoes and Seasoned Green Beans 11.35-ounce three compartment trays. Sell-by dates: 10/12/2017, 11/18/2017, 12/21/2017, 1/26/2018, 1/30/2018 and 3/1/2018.
- Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Cinnamon Flavored Sweet Potatoes and Four Seasons Vegetables 12-ounce three compartment trays. Sell-by dates: 12/9/2017, 12/21/2017, 1/26/2018 and 1/30/2018.
- Traditions Turkey Ham & Waffle Cured Turkey Thigh meat Chunked and Formed with Fruit Cocktail and Hash Brown 9.20-ounce three compartment trays. Sell-by dates: 12/12/2017, 1/21/2018, 1/30/2018, 3/16/2018, 3/21/2018, 4/3/2018, 4/5/2018, 4/18/2018, 4/26/2018.
- Traditions Oatmeal with Waffle and Sausage Patty 7.4-ounce three compartment trays. Sell-by date of 10/14/2017.
On May 5, Aunt Jemima recalled all frozen pancakes, waffles, French toast slices, and Hungry Man Selects Chicken & Waffles nationwide due to possible contamination with Listeria.
On May 9, the Florida supermarket chain Save-A-Lot recalled all lots of “Pick 5 Chicken & Waffle Sandwiches” from their frozen food section because the waffles were made by Pinnacle Foods and may contain Listeria.
No illnesses have been linked to the recalls. People who eat food that is contaminated with Listeria can develop a serious infection known as listeriosis.
The symptoms include fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, convulsions, and sometimes gastrointestinal symptoms like diarrhea or vomiting. Pregnant women may have no symptoms other than a miscarriage.