The explosion occurred at about 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 28, for unknown reasons. Two men were “badly burned” and suffered “significant injuries,” according to Lt. Beau Edic of the Lower Valley Fire Protection District.
“We got called for a building that had exploded with multiple injuries. The parties actually removed themselves and drove to I-70, and we LifeFlighted both of them. They did have very significant injuries from the blast.”
The men were flown to St. Mary’s Medical Center and the University of Utah Hospital. Firefighters let the fire burn down before starting any type of suppression. Utah Highway 128 was closed for several hours.
Grand County Sheriff’s Deputy Jamison Wiggins said an emergency valve was immediately shut off to prevent the fire from burning more gas or spreading to other parts of the plant.
Source: Natural gas facility explodes in Utah; two badly burned