The lawsuit was filed by James Brown, a man who worked for the railroads for decades. He claims he developed cancer after being exposed to creosote, degreasing solvents, lead, and other chemicals.
He was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) in August 2008, which his doctor blamed on toxic chemical exposure.
Brown says he was responsible for picking up railroad ties and dropping them off. He helped install ties that were “soaking wet” with creosote. He also washed off equipment and railroad ties, which left him covered “head to toe” in creosote. He says his wet clothes allowed the chemical to soak into his skin.
He blames the exposure on his bad eyes, legs and feet, weight-gain from his medication, impotence, memory loss, and other health problems.
Brown worked 18 years for Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW), and another 13 years when it became Union Pacific Railroad Co.
Lawyers say he was eventually given a hard hat and gloves, but no other protective equipment. They added that no one used protective equipment until Union Pacific took over CNW in the mid-1990s.
The lawsuit was filed on December 3, 2010 in Madison County Circuit Court — In Re: James Brown v. Union Pacific Railroad Co. — Case No. 10-L-1213.
Source: Madison – St. Clair Record