Chloe Rodgerson of Utah got sick in October 2015 after eating a Costco chicken salad that was contaminated with E. coli. Soon afterward, she began vomiting blood and was hospitalized.
Rodgerson was diagnosed with Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STEC) O157:H7, which is a strain of E. coli that frequently causes severe kidney problems.
Rodgerson quickly developed a type of kidney failure known as Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS). The infection left her with end-stage renal failure, epilepsy, and diabetes.
After more than 1.5 years on dialysis, she eventually received a kidney transplant from her husband — but she was forced to give up her dreams of starring on Broadway and having children. She told FOX13:
I’m kind of in a place where I don’t have any other options. I don’t have $2 million and I’m not going to have sufficient resources to keep myself alive going forward in the future.”
Rodgerson was one of over a dozen people who fell ill with E. coli after eating tainted rotisserie chicken salad from Costco.
In December 2015, the CDC reported 19 illnesses in 7 states: California (1), Colorado (4), Missouri (1), Montana (6), Utah (5), Virginia (1), and Washington (1). Five people were hospitalized and there were 2 reports of Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS).