The SpringHill Suites by Marriott, an extended-stay hotel on 2960 Hoppe Trail in Round Rock, Texas, was closed this week after 3 guests and 1 employee were sickened with Legionnaires’ disease.
Another guest was hospitalized after being found “quite ill” in bed, according to health officials in William County.
All 3 guests who were infected with Legionella said they used the hotel’s hot tub or sat in a chair next to the hot tub and breathed the mist. The guests were infected in June, July and August 2017.
The employee who was infected with Legionella was only on the job for 1 week, but the employee walked through the room where the hot tub is located several times.
The SpringHill Suites was closed on Wednesday, October 4, at 5 p.m. A spokeswoman for the hotel said they hope to re-open on October 24 after the water system is disinfected and they pass all inspections.
Investigators are waiting for test results on the hotel’s water system. It can take up to 2 weeks because Legionella grows so slowly.
Anyone who was a guest at the hotel or spent time there between June and October 4th may have been exposed to Legionella.
Legionnaires’ disease occurs when people breathe Legionella bacteria into their lungs. Outbreaks are often linked to hot tubs, pools, fountains, and showers in large buildings with complex water systems.
The initial symptoms of Legionnaires’ disease normally occur within 2 to 10 days after exposure to contaminated water. The symptoms include flu-like symptoms, coughing, shortness of breath, high fever, muscle aches, headaches, disorientation, or hallucinations.
Source: Fifth case of Legionnaires’ confirmed from Round Rock hotel