The lawsuit states that Rivera was making a chile-based salsa with dried chiles and garlic. After putting the ingredients into a NutriBullet with a cup of water, she ran the NutriBullet for a “reasonable amount of time” — and then it exploded without warning:
“I tried to open it, and it exploded. My head, everything was burning. The cup just went and landed somewhere else. I went to the emergency room because it was just so much pain, it was burning so much.”
Rivera suffered 2nd-degree burns on her body and was hospitalized for treatment. Several other people have had similar injuries as a result of the top un-threading and opening during use.
Corporate attorneys for NutriBullet admit that it can heat up the food inside due to friction, but they say it is “perplexing” that the device would turn “cool ingredients into scalding hot mixtures after less than 20 seconds of normal operation.” NutriBullet is investigating claims.