The most recent incident was reported by Holly Burns, an Indiana woman who claims she heard a “big boom” in the direction of her son’s bedroom, which turned out to be his glass-top ‘Glasholm’ IKEA desk exploding.

“I was cooking dinner, when I heard a big sound like a big boom, and my first thought was a tree had fallen into the house, that’s how loud it was,” Burns said. “His glass-top desk had just shattered. Basically exploded.”

Burns said her son was lucky to not be home at the time of the incident, as shards of glass ended up on his bed.

Unfortunately, the incident is hardly an isolated one. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has published dozens of similar complaints involving IKEA glass furniture products, including the company’s Granås tabletop which “exploded without warning” and sent glass “everywhere,” according to one customer, and another glass-topped desk that exploded in what “sounded like a shotgun blast.”

IKEA has not issued any recalls for the glass furniture implicated in the recent cases.

Earlier this year, the company issued a statement about spontaneous glass breakage when a ‘Salmi’ glass table “exploded” near a baby in the UK, according to the New York Post.

“Our glass is tested rigorously to meet the highest standards,” IKEA said in a statement. “Over time, small knacks and fractures can affect the durability of tempered glass… However it is designed to shatter to minimize risk of injury.”

Source: FOX News

Related News Articles

Ray Simon

Posted by Ray Simon

Ray Simon is a veteran copywriter with more than a decade's worth of experience in the field. He studied journalism at Vanderbilt University, graduating Cum Lade in 2007. Ray currently specializes in writing content and news articles for independent publications.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.