The recall was initiated after FDA received a complaint about two kittens who died after eating the food, including one death that was confirmed to be caused by a Salmonella infection that spread to the bloodstream (septicemia).
The FDA tested Kitten Grind Lot#GA1102 and detected Salmonella and Listeria.
The recalled lot contains 20 cases or 300 chubs of food that was sold in Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and North Carolina.
The products were sold in frozen 2-pound chubs of raw meat. They were manufactured on November 2, 2017.
The lot number is printed on a metal clip on each end of the chub. Consumers should check the clips to
Those who have purchased the recalled “Kitten Grind” products should stop feeding them to pets and return products to the place of purchase for a full refund — or dispose of the products immediately. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salmonella and Listeria can cause severe and potentially fatal infections in animals who eat the pet food, as well as humans who handle the food. According to the FDA warning:
Pets can be carriers of the bacteria and infect humans, even if the pets do not appear to be ill. … The animal can shed the bacteria when it has a bowel movement, and the contamination will continue to spread.”
People and pets who are infected with Salmonella or Listeria monocytogenes may show symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
Source: Blue Ridge Beef Recalls Kitten Grind Raw Pet Food Lot#GA1102 Because of Possible Contamination
Click Here for a Free Confidential Case Consultation