Health officials began investigating the spate of illnesses, which were reported at the Chipotle at 4550 W. Pico Blvd. in LA, after customers complained of symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
“My whole family and I ate at Chipotle two days before we started experiencing stomach pains and nausea,” one customer wrote on iwaspoisoned.com. “It was constant vomiting every 2 hours and weakness. We all had burrito bowls with meat, beans, rice, and guac.”
Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold told Business Insider that the company is aware of the matter and has taken steps to contain any potential outbreak of illnesses; however, he said Chipotle has not received any direct complaints from customers.
“We take any report of illness very seriously. We are aware of three reports (two of which appear to be the same) on a user-generated reporting site, but there is no clinical validation associated with those reports, and we have not been contacted by customers directly to substantiate these claims,” Arnold said. “As a precautionary measure, we have implemented heightened sanitization measures at this restaurant, which we do as a matter of policy if ever we receive reports of illness (even if they are not substantiated).”
Following a series of outbreaks of E. coli and norovirus in 2015, the beleaguered Mexican chain tried to right itself by implementing more intensive food safety practices, menu additions, and enhanced marketing tactics. However, continued reports of food poisoning largely nullify these efforts.
Click Here for a Free Confidential Case Consultation