Just watch this video:

In October 2015, a jury in California awarded $1.9 million to a woman who suffered 2nd-degree burns after her e-cigarette exploded.

Most recently, a 63 year-old man from California named Joseph Cavins lost an eye after his e-cigarette exploded. It also started a fire in his house and spewed shrapnel that broke bones in his face.


Joseph Cavins (Photo: KABC News)


He plans on filing a lawsuit against the store where he bought the batteries. His lawyer is handling 60 similar cases and said the battery had no safety mechanism to prevent overheating:

“It’s manufactured cheaply, and it’s manufactured in a dirty environment and particles get inside the battery itself. It makes them more susceptible to overheating and exploding.”

Earlier this month, an e-cigarette exploded in the face of a 17 year-old high school student from New York burned his face and throat and lacerated his hand. In a similar incident, this 16 year-old from Canada lost two teeth and had devastating facial burns:

Ty Greer (Global News © 2016 Shaw Media)

Ty Greer (Global News © 2016 Shaw Media)


These are not isolated incidents. An investigation by eCigOne.com found 159 reports of e-cigarette explosions since 2009, including 93 reports involving burn injuries. Other serious incidents involved broken teeth, blindness, finger amputation, house fires, drivers losing control of vehicles, and more.

In January 2016, this young mom was left with horrific eye injuries after an e-cig battery exploded:

Kirby Sheen © Manchester Evening News

Kirby Sheen © Manchester Evening News


In February, a man from Kentucky suffered 2nd-degee burns on his leg after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket. The dramatic incident was caught on tape and shows a sudden burst of sparks from his pocket:

Josh Hamilton © Facebook, Daily Mail

Josh Hamilton © Facebook, Daily Mail


Just last week, the FDA announced plans to regulate e-cigarettes and ban their sale to minors. It will cost upwards of $1 million per product to get FDA approval, so experts say over 99% of e-cigarette products will be gone in the next two years. Hopefully this means the end of shoddy knockoffs and incompatible chargers.

Even if you don’t vape e-cigarettes, your teenager or spouse might — and you could be in danger. Here’s what you need to know:

  • Use only the charger that came with your e-cigarette
  • Do not plug it into a computer or “standard” USB port
  • Do not carry batteries in your pocket or purse – they can be damaged or catch on fire after coming in contact with metal objects (keys, coins, etc.)
  • Do not use “mods” or modified vapes
  • Throw away damaged batteries
  • Watch out for counterfeit batteries
  • Do not charge overnight or leave a charging battery unattended

Posted by Daily Hornet

We aim to provide progressive news that covers politics and corporate wrongdoing. We have no corporate interests to serve. No hidden agenda. We’re here to bring you the news you need to know with a grassroots twist.